返回列表 发帖

[教会] Blessed are those who mourn!

Jesus proclaims that blessed are those who mourn, because they shall be comforted (Matt 5:4). In the first glance, this statement is not attractive at all. People mourn often when they have lost loved ones. Speaking of comfort, no comfort can top the recovery of the lost. Granted, wouldn’t it be better off not to go through this lost-and-found at all?

It is this kind of thinking that leads to a common conviction that Christianity is for losers, for those unlucky souls that cannot pull themselves out of trouble.

I still remember when my wife first got baptized, I was happy for her, because I honestly thought she does need such a crutch. However, when she tried hard to proselyte me, I became so angry.

Finally I went through my share of mourning, and my own lost and found. I become who I am now (1 Cor 15:10). What can I say to those fortunate folks who still enjoy everything under the sun (Eccl 1:14)?

Jesus comes not to restore the good old days, but to offer an exciting new life that obliterates the old order (2 Cor 5:17). For folks who are having their days of the life, Jesus’ offer not only makes no sense (1 Cor 1:18), but becomes an offense (Rom 9:33). As long as we’re in defense, Jesus let us (Rom 1:28), but as soon as we surrender, we received comfort, and a Comforter! Through the loss of that we cannot keep, we gain that which we can never lose.

This is what Apostle John went through: he lost Jesus on an earthly cross, but much to his comfort, he found Jesus again on the heavenly throne! We are prompted to do the same, so that before we reach the end of our daylight, we can have that eternal light shining in us. (Also as a friendly reminder, day light saving will ends this coming weekend).

Matthew 5:4 Blessed are those who mourn, for they shall be comforted.
1 Corinthians 15:10 But by the grace of God I am what I am, and his grace toward me was not in vain.
Ecclesiastes 1:14 I have seen everything that is done under the sun, and behold, all is vanity and a striving after wind.
2 Corinthians 5:17 Therefore, if anyone is in Christ, he is a new creation.[1] The old has passed away; behold, the new has come.
1 Corinthians 1:18 For the word of the cross is folly to those who are perishing, but to us who are being saved it is the power of God.
Romans 9:33 as it is written, “Behold, I am laying in Zion a stone of stumbling, and a rock of offense; and whoever believes in him will not be put to shame.”
Romans 1:28 And since they did not see fit to acknowledge God, God gave them up to a debased mind to do what ought not to be done.
返回列表